Wednesday, June 12, 2013

No good deed.

I had a horrendous move that essentially left half of my stuff in Denton while I try to get things started here in Dallas.
There's a TLDR at the end, if you're into that sort of thing.

After realizing that it will probably take 6 trips to get all of my stuff to Dallas in my Honda Fit, I borrowed my dad's behemoth Suburban. The transition from a Honda Fit to a monster Suburban is difficult to say the least, so of course, I backed into a Volvo at Starbucks.

No one is around so I go back in the Starbucks and ask if it's a staff members car. The manager said no and gave me some scratch paper and a pen and said something about karma. Cue ominous music.

I didn't see any damage and I wrote a note saying that I didn't see damage but if she sees any, call me. An hour later, I get a call from the woman and she said that both her and her husband looked and there was no damage! She just wanted to call and let me know how great it was that I left a note. She talked for a LONG time about it, which was kind of odd. She went on to say that the car is old and beat up, so she probably wouldn't do anything if it were damaged. Ominous music gets louder.

A few hours later, I get a text that says that there actually WAS damage and that I should call them. Covered in sweat from moving, no battery life on my phone and two more trips to make and now I have to deal with this. I was told them I would contact him and have to use his interpreter because he is deaf.

Why is this suddenly a priority? I told the lady that she will need to file a police report and contact my insurance and get an estimate. No answer. Then she tells me to contact her husband the next day with no mention of the text I sent her.

7AM the next morning, I get a phone call. It's the woman panicked. They need to get this fixed right away. They are acting like their car is totaled and they can't do anything. They are also acting as though I am avoiding them. I get at least ten calls or texts between 8AM and 2PM. Mind you, I am responding to most of these peoples' texts. Finally I tell them to talk to my dad. He deals with it. The woman calls two more times. I tell her to talk to my dad and let her know that this is bordering on harassment. Two hours later, I get five more texts with no mention of my telling her to quit texting me.

My dad finally gets it fixed, but not without a phone call where the lady just inexplicably starts discussing a DIFFERENT Volvo that they own and all the repairs it needs.

TLDR; Ran into crazy people's Volvo in a Starbucks lot. She called me to thank me for being honest and leaving a note. Her brand of crazy made me never want to be honest and leave a note again.

No comments: